That Speech Lady: About Me
I was inspired to train as a speech and language therapist due to my parents who both had experiences of accessing speech and language therapy. My father had a very severe stammer and my mother has a diagnosis of Multiple
In 2009, I graduated from university with a Bachelor of Science Honours in Speech and Language Therapy at
Birmingham City University. I worked in the NHS for 8 years, which included running a specialist service for children and
young people who stammer. In 2016, I started working independently covering the Surrey and West Sussex area. I also
offer online services for families who do not live locally.
During my career I have worked with Gareth Gates hosting a Stammer School for primary aged children. I have been interviewed by Tino De Silva at Business Radio and interviewed by Lara McNaste at Radio Woking.
Throughout my career I have developed specialist skills and knowledge in the area of stammering.
Formal training I have received:
- Working with Children who Stammer, Michael Palin Centre
- Palin Parent Child Interaction (Palin PCI)
- Primary School Children Who Stammer: Realising Their Potential, Michael Palin Centre
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Michael Palin Centre
- The Lidcombe Program, Trainers Consortium
- Working with adults who stammer: a course for speech and language therapists (City Lit)
- I am part of several Clinical Excellence Networks (CENs) that specialise in working with children and adults who stammer. CENS include liaising with other stammering therapists and attending training and workshops from outside speakers.
- Throughout my career I have worked with children and young people who stammer in both NHS and Independent Practices.
- I am currently part of a stammering supervision group facilitated by Sam Simpson.
- In 2021 I attended the Oxford Dysfluency Conference online.
- In 2020 I attended a Resiliency Promotion Workshop by Reaching In Reaching Out.
- In 2018 I worked with Gareth Gates in Gareth Gates' Stammer School. I designed and ran workshops for primary aged children who stammer.
- In 2017 I attended the Oxford Dysfluency Conference (a three day event).
- I have experience running, leading and managing a Stammering Service in the NHS.
Every therapist has unique skills, experiences and training. It is important that you find the right therapist for you and your family. I'd love to hear from you so please do not hesitate to get in touch.